Friday, 19 May 2017

Five on Friday - Albany WA

Hello

Nice to see you.  I'm linking up with Tricky and Carly for Five on Friday today, do follow the link to see what everyone's been up to this week.

We've reached Albany on the Southern Ocean, the furthest point from Perth on our Road Trip.  We're staying here a couple of nights to explore the area and our B&B has turned out to be really quirky with cases and cases of old cameras on display - around 3,000 and the walls are covered with row upon row of full size oil paintings, copies of old masters made by painters in China.

You can see the Princess Royal and Oyster Harbours and King George Sound in the map below which make the views from Albany very special over what appear to be lots of islands.  Its cooler, cloudier and even a bit drizzly, but then that's just what we are used to.


One - Town

Albany is the oldest permanently settled town in Western Australia, is a port and houses the National ANZAC Centre as this is where soldiers from the Eastern States set off to Europe in WWI.  I'll tell you more about that in another post.  There's an historic whaling station which we didn't visit and you can also watch whales migrate between June and October.







Two - Porongurups

There are so many National Parks in the area. The Porongurup mountains, further inland,  are cloaked in forests of karri trees.  We headed off to Castle Rock for the Granite Skywalk.





The views were intermittent but what a fantastic walk through the forest alongside these enormous rocks.





Three - Blowholes

At the Torndirrup National Park on the coast, there are blowholes.  The noticeboard below tells how they are formed.





You might be able to see a cloudiness in the picture as this is the water and air being whooshed through the blowhole with a great Whoomph!  Quite spectacular, when you are actually there!


Four - Gap and Natural Bridge

Just round the corner is this natural bridge created by erosion which is still at work today.  I never get tired of watching the sea roaring in over the rocks.




Five - Windfarm

The 18 wind turbines rotated majestically in the mist.  The plants and the spiderwebs were covered in droplets of drizzle and looked fabulous.


We're off to our next destination now.

See you soon.


24 comments:

  1. Your trip to Australia must be great - enjoy! Lovely sceneries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! What a fascinating trip and the photos are great. I love the blow holes and that wonderful rock bridge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all the natural features and plants, just fantastic. x

      Delete
  3. Your B&B in Albany sounds fascinating! As do the forest/granite walk and the blow holes. Such a different landscape, thanks for taking us there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it all really interesting and, of course, couldn't stop taking photos! It was just wow every five minutes!

      Delete
  4. Your trip is so exciting! The BnB sounds really cool and quirky, exactly the type of place we love to visit, you always have a memorable time in places like that. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, thanks for Joining us for Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank to you Tricky.😊 it's been great fun with something new round every corner.

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying your Australian trip. The view of those islands must have been amazing and the sea rushing through the rock bridge mesmerising. I recognise the James Cook pine as we have some in Sheffield Winter Garden! I wonder how the hole in the karri tree got like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I'm glad you're enjoying it! Those pines look great don't they. I wouldn't be surprised if the tree was affected by fire as it was clear to see the results of bushfires everywhere.

      Delete
  6. What an absolutely amazing place you migrate to in October! Love it! Such beautiful photos make me long to go there myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful place with so much to explore.

      Delete
  7. Looks amazing. It's not a country I've ever considered visiting. It's a long way and I'm a poor flyer. But your photos are making me think I might have missed something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you! I was quite concerned about the flying but actually it was fine in the end.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful place to visit! I love the tree with the hole in it. I haven't ever been to Australia but I have an Aunt who emigrated there from England when I was a child. She used to send me wonderful things from there.

    Happy Five on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place, I thoroughly enjoyed it! There were quite a few trees with holes in due to the bushfires.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous pictures!! I learned something today, reading your blog...I didn't know there WAS an Albany!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There's one in the U.S. too I believe!

      Delete
  10. I love the tree with the hole in it and those rocks - that looks like a beautiful part of Australia - very interesting. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Fil @ Fil’s Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much greener and more lakey than I expected. Many thanks

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed all your photos, felt as if I was along on your trip for a bit. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, well, keep tuned as we'll be off exploring again soon.

      Delete
  12. Great photos and fascinating information. I think kids would love the tree with the holes in it. Have a good week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all had a go sitting in the tree 😊 No room for the children ha ha

      Delete