Monday, 1 May 2017

The Beginner's Goodbye

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

I've just finished reading The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler. I am such a fan of her books, they never fail to delight and make an impression.  I am constantly on the lookout for them in charity shops but this one was on the library shelf calling to me to take it home.  It would have gone on a train trip if I hadn't finished reading it so quickly.

Starting the book with 'The strangest thing about my wife's return from the dead was how other people reacted' has you hooked from the beginning.  When Dorothy is killed when a tree falls on their house, her husband Aaron has to deal with his grief as friends and family try to help.  The gentle humour in the writing combined with the expert characterisation bring the book's world to life.



The well meaning awkwardness of those around him, the casseroles made by neighbours piling up on his doorstep and his making do with his teenage clothes still kept at his old parents house rather than return to his home are just a few of the well observed details.

Great book.

Cheerio

2 comments:

  1. I just finished her Vinegar Girl--a retelling of the Taming of the Shrew- and really enjoyed it. Will go looking for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read, 'Spool of Blue Thread' by her - wonderful book - I'll look for this one next. Thanks for the review! x Karen

    ReplyDelete